1/1 Photo of Soft Spelt Dinner Rolls
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This recipe was not originally Vegan, but because I prefer this type of baking I tweeked it so it didn't have any eggs or dairy in it. I added a few optional notes so you could see the names of some of the ingredients I used. If you want to view the original recipe you can find it here: http://www.recipesandreviews.com/recipes/soft_spelt_dinner_rolls-42
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the warm water to your mixing bowl and stir in the sugar until most of it is dissolved. Gently stir in the yeast. Wait 5 minutes for the yeast to become active. You should see some yeast and bubble floating to the top.
- 2Mix in the cup of spelt flour. Add the egg replacer and melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread. At this point and mix thoroughly.
- 3I used the paddle on my mix master and that did a great job mixing the ingredients.
- 4Stir in the salt and optional soya milk powder.
- 5Slowly mix in the rest of the spelt and unbleached flours. When it forms a ball that just barely sticks to the bowl, then it is time to start kneading.
- 6Either turn it out onto a floured board or switch to a dough hook in your mixer, and knead for 6 minutes. Let it rest for a few minutes while you oil the rising bowl, then knead for 6 more minutes.
- 7Put the dough ball in the rising bowl and roll it around so that it is coated with the oil. Cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let rise for about 2 hours or until doubled.
- 8Punch down the dough and gently knead out any large bubbles. Cover and let rise for about half as long as the first time.
- 9Oil your cake pan. Pull off pieces of dough a little bigger than a golf ball and roll them in your hand to form round top.
- 10Place them side by side in your pan. I tend to make 4 rows of 4 rolls in an 8x8 pan and 5 rows of 5 slightly smaller rolls in a 9x9 pan. Cover and let rise for an hour.
- 11Preheat your oven to 375°F Bake for 26 to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soft Spelt Dinner Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 41.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 873.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: