Recipe by K1968
Makes 2 medium size, beautiful soft, tasty loaves. I like to use proving baskets and bake on a pizza stone.
Top Review by karen.morris17
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It turned out really well - soft with a good texture and slightly sweet flavor, not sour. I think this will be my go-to recipe for preparing sandwich bread for my family.
- 2 cups active starter
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups white flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together and knead dough for about five minutes. If dough is too sticky, add slightly more flour but dough should be soft and not dry and stiff. Place in oiled bowl and allow dough to rise for 3-4 hours or until nearly doubled in size.
- Divide dough into two pieces and shape into loaves and place in two greased bread pans or proving baskets. If a free form loaf is desired, place on greased baking sheet. Spray with oil and cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Allow to rise for 2-3 hours. About 30min before the bread is ready pre heat your oven to 450f/250c.
- When dough has risen, slash the top of the loaf. Place in pre heated oven at the high temp for 10min ( this will give lovely crust with great colour, do not fear it will not burn in this time) then reduce temp to 375f/190c for a further 20 minute.