Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another one from my church cookbook.
Make and share this Soft Shrimp Tacos With Tropical Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chili
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 8 (6 inch) rounds flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded lowfat monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in bowl, cover and chill.
- Place a large nonstick pan coated with spray over med-high heat till hot. Add pepper, onion and garlic saute 2 minutes. Add shrimp, tomato, cumin and chili powder, saute 3 minutes till shrimp are done. Stir in cilantro.Spoon 1/4 cup shrimp mixture over 1/2 tortilla, and top with about 3 tbsp cheese and 2 tbsp salsa; fold over.
Made these last night for dinner when meeting my daughter's boyfriend the first time. Good flavors, I left out the tomato from the tacos and made Pico de Gallo to add later, which every one did. I will make this again, but use fresh pinapple and mango in the salsa, and more garlic in the taco. I also don't feel the cheese is needed, so didn't even offer it, no one asked for it!
My daughter and I made this recipe several times. It's one of our favourite camping recipes. Full of flavor. I like large shrimp instead of medium, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing. It has turn into a tradition.
We prepared these for our Cinco de Mayo dinner. I felt that they needed a little kick and added a few dashes of cayenne pepper to the salsa and some diced jalapenos with the onions, peppers and shrimp. Overall, an easy meal for a weeknight.