Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 mins
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 6 slices thick bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 soft sandwich buns, toasted
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into 8 thin slices
- 4 leaves green lettuce
- Mix the mayonnaise, chives, and tarragon in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Cut each strip in half to make 12 pieces total.
- Pour out and reserve the bacon fat; wipe the skillet clean with paper towels.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow dish.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a second dish.
- Dip each crab in the eggs, then in the flour to coat completely.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes to set the crust.
- Heat the oil and reserved bacon fat in a large skillet over med-high heat until the oil shimmers.
- Carefully add the crabs to the skillet (the crabs could splatter, so be careful).
- Cook until the undersides are golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Using a thin slotted metal spatula, turn the crabs and cook to brown the other sides, about 3 minutes.
- Using the spatula, transfer the crabs to paper towels to drain briefly.
- Spread the buns with the herb mayonnaise.
- Top each bottom bun half with a crab, 3 bacon slices, 2 tomato slices, and a lettuce leaf, then the top bun half.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately.