Top Review by Teegrainca
I have been using a recipe from a competitor site with over 2000 reviews and this recipe kicked it's butt! It's SO easy and the cookies came out so delicious. I didn't change a thing and they were perfect. The amount of cookies this makes per batch is perfect, as well. I will just note some things I think are important in all cookie baking: butter or shortning should be at room temperature, naturally - no microwave. Eggs should be at room temperature, as well. Thank you for this easy, awesome recipe!!!!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream shortening, butter, and sugar together; stir in eggs and vanilla; stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until dough (which will be very soft at this point) comes together.
- Cover dough and refrigerate 6-8 hours or, preferably, overnight.
- Once dough is thoroughly chilled (it will be stiff at this point) roll out about 1/6" thin on a lightly floured surface; cut cookies into desired shapes and place them onto an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 7 minutes or just until edges of cookies begin to brown; allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes; remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
- NOTE: Yield will depend upon size of cookies and upon how thin you roll the dough ~ Dough rolled 1/6" thick yields 48 three-inch cookies.