Recipe by Sackville
These are delightfully soft and comforting cookies. They almost fall apart in your mouth!
Top Review by MizzNezz
OH my!!! These are SO good! I am really having trouble leaving these alone. I made the recipe as posted, no changes. This makes a lot of cookies. I love raisins, and this is the best raisin cookie recipe I've found!! Very easy. Thanks Friedel!! Definitely one I will repeat.
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine raisins and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and cook for three minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool but do not drain.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening or butter with sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients together and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Stir in nuts and raisins, along with the water the raisins were boiled inches.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes.