Recipe by Sally Sasquatch
A great after school snack! Fun to let the kids help make, too. Although they love to eat them best of all. This recipe got the thumbs up from all three of my sons. (And I think they're yummy, too!) Prep time includes rising time. Cook time included boiling and baking.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable oil, salt and 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Stir togrther until thoroughly combined.
- Add remaining flour and knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rest for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal shapes and reform them into small balls.
- Let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll them into 18" lengths and form them into pretzel shapes or cut each length in half to make sticks.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a large pot, place the baking soda and water to a boil.
- Let the pretzels rise for a 1/2 hour.
- Add the pretzels to the boiling water for 1 minute.
- Remove and place on a greased sheetpan.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake for 12 minutes.