Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 18 mins
A great after school snack! Fun to let the kids help make, too. Although they love to eat them best of all. This recipe got the thumbs up from all three of my sons. (And I think they're yummy, too!) Prep time includes rising time. Cook time included boiling and baking.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable oil, salt and 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Stir togrther until thoroughly combined.
- Add remaining flour and knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rest for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal shapes and reform them into small balls.
- Let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll them into 18" lengths and form them into pretzel shapes or cut each length in half to make sticks.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a large pot, place the baking soda and water to a boil.
- Let the pretzels rise for a 1/2 hour.
- Add the pretzels to the boiling water for 1 minute.
- Remove and place on a greased sheetpan.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake for 12 minutes.
I made these today. I loved them! They turned out great! Nice and soft on the inside, and crunchy on the inside! I will making these again for sure!
This is very similar to the Top Secret Recipes soft pretzels I'm familiar with so I'll give some tips I learned from that one. First, if you're having trouble with the shaping of the dough, as in the rope not wanting to form to the proper length, simply walk away for 5-10 minutes. This allows the dough to rest and it should be easier to work. Second, I found the soda bath to be too lenghty. It made the outside crack if I left it in that long. I think it's essential to the taste I prefer and it helps in browning, so I modified to just dipping them in for a few seconds on each side. This made a better pretzel for me. Also note that these can be frozen just like the ones bought in the store, then rubbed with a damp paper towel, salted and microwaved for 45-60 seconds for a quick home made snack! Hope this helps, folks!
I had an itch to make pretzels last night while it was raining and I found this recipe. I LOVED IT! I brought what my husband left into work and they were devoured quickly and left everyone with a smile on their face. Thank you!