6 hrs 15 mins
From the Detroit Free Press dated 4-12-78. OMG these were wonderful. Wow, I haven't made these for almost 30 years. Very time consuming. The dough has to rise twice. After submitting, I tried a half recipe and it took 5 hours from start to finish. It's easier to rub the dough between your hands to make the ropes. Once you get them to 18 inches they snap back to 12 inches very quickly so you have to be quick forming the pretzel shapes. A few of my mistakes became 'pretzel buns' so I made a few more on purpose. Eat them within a few days. The ones I stored in a ziploc bag got sweaty and hard by day 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1'Proof' yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- 2Scald 1 quart of milk. Add shortening and sugar. Stir 'til melted. Let stand 'til lukewarm.
- 3Add 6 cups of the flour and stir until smooth. Cover. Let rise in warm place, 30 minutes, until light and bubbly.
- 4Stir down risen dough. Beat in remaining flour, baking soda and salt. Cover. Let rise in greased bowl until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Punch down. Divide into 6 pieces. Let rest 10 minutes.
- 6Divide each piece further into 10 pieces. Roll into rope 1/2" x 18". Twist into pretzel. Tuck ends under. When all are shaped, cover lightly with a towel.
- 7Dissolve 2/3 cups baking soda in 2 quarts cold water and bring to a boil in a pan that's NOT aluminum.
- 8Lower pretzels into boiling solution on slotted spatula for 5 seconds and remove. Drain.
- 9Place on WAXED baking sheet. (Put baking sheets in oven as you preheat. At about 250 degrees take the pans out then rub hard with waxed paper.).
- 10Sprinkle pretzels with coarse salt.
- 11Bake in 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until well-brown. Makes 5 dozen 5" pretzels.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soft Pretzels
Serving Size: 1 (4959 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 131.2
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 2.2 mg
- Sodium 874.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g