Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is really very easy and the taste of these pretzels is wonderful!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- coarse salt
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the sugar, butter, salt, egg and 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.
- Cut each into 16 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 20-in. rope.
- Shape into a pretzel.
- Place on greased baking sheets.
- Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over pretzels.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- **Cook time does not include refrigeration time of 2 - 24 hours.