Recipe by Mimi in Maine
A friend brought these to a home schooling group meeting as a treat for the kids. They were so good that my granddaughter asked that I get the recipe and make some. I did, and have made them many times since.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour, to make a non-sticky dough
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the yeast and warm water and let sit for a couple of minutes to proof.
- Separate the egg and set the egg white aside.
- Mix the yolk, sugar, cooled butter, milk, and salt together.
- Add the flour gradually to make a non-sticky dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Rise for 1 hour.
- Roll out about 1/4" thick and cut dough into 1" strips.
- Roll between hands into a rope; shape the rope into a pretzel; let rise about 15-20 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoons water to the egg white and mix well.
- Brush on the pretzels carefully and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or till brown.