Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Comfort food! Roasting the herbs lends them an even fuller flavor, giving ghe dish it's special savor! Adapted from Caprial's Cafe Favorites cookbook.
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 473.18 ml vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 158.51 ml finely ground polenta (cornmeal)
- 28.34 g soft mild goat cheese
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 9.85 ml unsalted butter
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh herb (such as basil, thyme, rosemary)
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over high heat until very hot. Add the garlic and shallots and saute until they begin to give off their aroma, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and heat just to a boil. Gradually whisk in the polenta to avoid lumps from forming. Cook until the polenta is thick, 3-4 minutes. Add the cheese and cream and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- In a small saute pan over high heat, cook the butter until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the herbs and immediately remove the pan from the heat. Stir the pan roasted herbs into the polenta and serve right away. Enjoy!
Yum! I loved the nice tang that the goat cheese gives this dish- not overpowering, but you can definitely taste it. I used vegetable stock, cilantro, and mint; to mirror the herbs in the meat dish I was serving. Thanks for posting a great alternative to rice or potatoes!
This was fabulous. I served it at our thanksgiving instead of mashed potatoes. The fresh herbs roasted really do make a difference.