Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Moist cake-like oatmeal cookies.
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water (enough to cover raisins)
- 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips or 1 (12 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- Place raisins and enough water to cover in a small saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes. Drain and reserve 5 TBSP of the liquid.
- In a small bowl combine reserved raisin liquid and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl combine sugar and shortening.
- Stir in eggs, salt, cinnamon, soda mixture, oatmeal, and raisins.
- Add flour in 1/2 cups increments. Once combined, stir in chips.
- Drop by spoonful onto wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350*F for 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
No ammount was listed for oatmeal so I added 3 cups and also 1 tsp. of vanilla. They are really soft and chewy.