Prep1 hr 50 mins
The description in the Robin Hood Cookbook where this recipe came from was that in 1880 a young man would take his sweetheart to the restaurant and offer her the usual treat: spruce beer and molasses hands - so called because handfulls of cookie dough were put on sheets to bake.
- Combine flour, soda, salt and spices in a bowl and mix well to blend.
- Combine sugar, oil, molasses, milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture gradually.
- Mix well.
- Chill 1 hour or until firm.
- Roll out portions of dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2 1/2" cookie cutter or your favourite shaped cookie cutters.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes.
- When cool store in tightly covered metal container.
- Prep time includes chilling time.