Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Food exchanges per servings: 1 starch/bread exchange + 1 fat exchange
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup hot coffee
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (dry sugar)
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Cream sugar, molasses and shortening together at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and mix at medium speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl before and after adding eggs.
- Stir flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and dry sugar substitute together to blend well, and then add, along with coffee and lemon juice, to creamy mixture.
- Mix at medium.
- Mix at medium speed until creamy.
- Drop dough by 1 1/2 Tablespoon onto cookies sheets that have been sprayed with pan spray or lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minuntes, or until cookies are firm.
- Remove them to a wire rack and cool to room temperuture.
These are a light wonderful cookie. I wanted a recipe that wasn't rolled in sugar, and this is it. I can't imagine there's anything that will make them better.
A very good cookie. The family loves them. I followed ChrisF and added salt and combined sugars. A definate keeper recipe.
Very good! I am a soft cookie lover. The flavor is excellent, all blending together well. The amount of salt to use was omitted in the instructions so I added about 1/2 teas. I also combined the sugar to 1/2 cup and added it all to the creaming of the sugar and molasses. (I think that maiameow ment the 1/4 cup dry sugar to be a sugar substitute). I baked them in a convection oven at 350° for 12 minutes. and had 34 cookies with my #40 cookies dough scoop. This is a keeper. Thanks for posting, I'm glad I made them.