Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
I received this recipe from my ex-husband's Grandmother 22 years ago and it still remains a family favorite for the holidays. The prep time is just an estimate and includes "mix time" and baking.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- raisins (to garnish) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat all ingredients except raisins until well blended.
- Drop mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls, at least 2 inches apart, onto cookie sheets.
- Place 3 to 5 raisins on top of each cookie, if desired.
- Bake 8 minutes or until top of cookie springs back when lightly pressed with finger.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and place on wire rack to cool.