Recipe by mommyoffour
This is a great recipe. I love soft molasses cookies around the holidays. Yummmm, give me a cup of coffee and a couple cookies and I'm a happy lady. These do stay soft if you put them in an airtight container. And as always ..... Don't overbake.
- 1 cup lard or 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sour milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda, dissolved in 1 T. hot water
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften lard.
- Cream withsugar and mix with molasses.
- Add sour milk, soda, and water.
- Mix well.
- Sift in flour and salt.
- Roll out quickly and lightly on floured board to 3/8 inch thick.
- Cut with a teacup-sized cutter.
- Bake in greased cookie sheet at 350 for 12 minutes.
- This is a big cookie that melts in your mouth.