Recipe by subaruthie
Between the two of them, my husband and dog are allergic to many of the common ingredients in dog treats. There are also a lot of ingredients in commercial treats that I avoid on principle. I came up with this recipe to satisfy a need for soft and tasty training treats that meet our needs and our dog's tastes. Adjust the seasonings or substitute another fruit or vegetable for your dog's own needs.
- 20 ounces chicken livers
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries (frozen is fine)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Puree until smooth and well mixed (it may be necessary to add more water or oats, depending on how wet the liver is; I do not drain mine).
- Line two 13x9" pans with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Divide the puree between the two pans and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, until tops are no longer moist and cakes can be lifted from the pans (the bottoms will be golden brown).
- Allow to cool slightly, then cut with a knife or pizza cutter into small pieces. For training treats for a small to medium sized dog, aim for pea-sized pieces.
- Freeze treats that you will not use in the next few days.