Recipe by HokiesMom
This is a bit different than the other recipe on this site as it does not use buttermilk and has a lot less sugar. Found it in a Simple & Delicious magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- food coloring (optional)
- colored crystal sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together (I use a whisk) and gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2" balls.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool after 2 minutes.
- ****FOR ICING****.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Tint with food coloring (I prefer the gel) if desired.
- Dip the cooled cookies into the icing.
- Sprinkle with colored sugars if desired.
- Place on waxed paper until icing is set.