1/6 Photos of Soft Italian Sugar Cookies
This is a bit different than the other recipe on this site as it does not use buttermilk and has a lot less sugar. Found it in a Simple & Delicious magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.
- 2Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together (I use a whisk) and gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 4Shape dough into 1-1/2" balls.
- 5Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 6Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 7Remove to wire racks to cool after 2 minutes.
- 8****FOR ICING****.
- 9In a small bowl, combine the milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- 10Tint with food coloring (I prefer the gel) if desired.
- 12Dip the cooled cookies into the icing.
- 13Sprinkle with colored sugars if desired.
- 14Place on waxed paper until icing is set.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soft Italian Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.6
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 75.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g