This is a bit different than the other recipe on this site as it does not use buttermilk and has a lot less sugar. Found it in a Simple & Delicious magazine.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together (I use a whisk) and gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2" balls.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool after 2 minutes.
- ****FOR ICING****.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Tint with food coloring (I prefer the gel) if desired.
- Dip the cooled cookies into the icing.
- Sprinkle with colored sugars if desired.
- Place on waxed paper until icing is set.