Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 mins
I got this recipe off the internet and the pitas came out soft and delicious, especially with homemade hummus! The only things is they took forever to rise because its so cold, so make these in summer or in a warm place. Also, the ziploc bags are so the pitas stay moist, because you don't want these pitas to have pockets, so after putting them in the ziploc bag, press down any pockets that may have formed.
- Put 1/4 cup warm water (not too hot) and honey in bowl and mix to dissolve honey. Add yeast and stir until combined. Let sit 10 minutes until bubbly.
- In separate bowl mix salt and flours. Add yeast mixture and remaining water and mix until well incorporated. Let sit 30 minutes.
- Add oil and more water if needed to make the dough moist and hold together well.
- Knead well for 5 minutes. Put a little vegetable oil on your hands and rub over dough to prevent cracking. Put dough in bowl, cover with moist towel and let rise for about and hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 12 balls. Roll out to 7-8 inches in diameter, cover with towel and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Bake on pizza stone or cookie sheet covered in parchment paper for 3 to 5 minutes, or until puffed and just starting to turn brown around edges.
- Remove from oven and immediately place in ziploc bag.
- Store in fridge or freezer. To reheat place in 350 F oven for 2 minutes or 30 seconds in microwave on high.