Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This bread is great for sandwiches and for toasting.
Make and share this Soft Grain Bread recipe from Food.com.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all-bran cereal, oats, whole wheat flour, dry milk powder, potato flakes, yeast, salt, and 2 cups bread flour; set aside.
- In microwave, heat water, honey and butter to 110 to 120 degrees.
- Add water mixture to flour mixture and beat on medium speed with mixer for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add enough flour for the mixture to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead about 10 minutes, adding flour as needed (I use my KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook).
- Be careful not to add too much flour or the bread will be heavy.
- Place the kneaded dough in a large oiled bowl and turn dough over to coat with the oil.
- Cover the dough with a large cloth and set aside in warm place to rise until it is doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto floured board.
- Divide into 5 portions, shape each into loaves, and place in greased 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch non-stick loaf pans (the dark pans brown the bread better than the shiny pans).
- Cover pans with a cloth and let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove bread from pans immediately and let cool on rack.
- Brush tops of loaves with butter.
This definitely lives up to its name. It is soft, well textured and full of flavor. I cut the recipe back to make 1 loaf and spread about 1 teaspoon melted butter over the top after removing from the oven. This is sure to become a regular around our house.