Recipe by Sydney Mike
The recipe for these crisp-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside biscotti was found in the 2009 cookbook Gingerbread.
Top Review by Annacia
Marvelous biscotti. It may be spring but is gingerbread/spice ever out of season? I think not! Mine were tender inside with a classic crisp crust. I was very pleased with the given times, the 20 min first bake and 6 mins per side was right on. A half sized recipe gave me 15 yummy cookies.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (yes, again!)
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven & preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, just 2 teaspoons of the ginger & 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, as well as the cloves, the 3/4 cup of granulated sugar & all of the brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter & vanilla extract, then pour this egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until dough comes together in a soft & slightly sticky mass.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface & knead several times until smooth.
- Divide dough in half, then shape each piece into a log about 8 inches long & 2 inches wide before setting each log some 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1 teaspoon of ginger, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon & the 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Brush the logs with the egg white & sprinkle each log with 1/3 of the spiced sugar mixture.
- Bake logs 25 to 30 minutes or until they are puffed & golden brown, then set the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F, then using a serrated knife, cut each log into 1/2-inch-slices (about 15 each).
- Arrange the biscotti, flat-side down, on the baking sheet & sprinkle with another 1/3 of the sugar mixture, then bake for 6 minutes or until biscotti are light golden brown.
- Turn the biscotti over, sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture & bake another 6 minutes.
- Cool biscotti on the baking sheet set on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing them to the rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container or in a zip-lock bag for up to 4 days.