1/6 Photos of Soft Gingerbread Biscotti
1 hr 15 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
The recipe for these crisp-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside biscotti was found in the 2009 cookbook Gingerbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (yes, again!)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven & preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, just 2 teaspoons of the ginger & 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, as well as the cloves, the 3/4 cup of granulated sugar & all of the brown sugar.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter & vanilla extract, then pour this egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until dough comes together in a soft & slightly sticky mass.
- 4Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface & knead several times until smooth.
- 5Divide dough in half, then shape each piece into a log about 8 inches long & 2 inches wide before setting each log some 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- 6In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1 teaspoon of ginger, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon & the 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Brush the logs with the egg white & sprinkle each log with 1/3 of the spiced sugar mixture.
- 7Bake logs 25 to 30 minutes or until they are puffed & golden brown, then set the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- 8Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F, then using a serrated knife, cut each log into 1/2-inch-slices (about 15 each).
- 9Arrange the biscotti, flat-side down, on the baking sheet & sprinkle with another 1/3 of the sugar mixture, then bake for 6 minutes or until biscotti are light golden brown.
- 10Turn the biscotti over, sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture & bake another 6 minutes.
- 11Cool biscotti on the baking sheet set on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing them to the rack to cool completely.
- 12Store in an airtight container or in a zip-lock bag for up to 4 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soft Gingerbread Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.5
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.6 mg
- Sodium 53.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g