Recipe by Leta
Another one of Grandma's recipes, I love this served warm with butter.
Top Review by Derf
Leta, this is a wonderfull dessert!! Good clear instructions and so easy to make. I made the jelly roll version and filled it with lemon curd, no frosting , just a sprinkle of confectioners sugar, sliced and a blurb of sour cream on each serving. Big time rave reviews!! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the baking soda in 1 Tbls cold water.
- Stir into the molasses.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, ginger, salt and baking powder; make a well in the center.
- Put molasses mixture, butter, beaten egg and water into the well.
- Stir vigorously until well blended.
- Bake in a well greased 8" square pan 25 to 35 minutes in moderate (325 F) oven.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or butter.
- Suggested variation: Bake in a jelly roll pan, turn out onto a towel lightly dusted with confectioners sugar, roll and let cool.
- Gently unroll and fill with recipe #42282 Flour Frosting.
- Roll up and dust with sifted confectioners sugar.
- Slice in 1" slices.