Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Topped with whipped cream, this simple dessert is one of my favorite comfort foods. It's quick enough for a weeknight treat, and tastes even better for left-overs! Originally from Esther Shank's Mennonite cookbook and tweaked a bit by me.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Cream brown sugar and butter thoroughly.
- Add eggs and molasses and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients and water/soda to mixing bowl alternately, mixing well with each addition.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Serve with whipped cream on top.
This is one of the "softest" gingerbreads I've ever made. Not to mention, the smell while it is cooking is out of this world! Thanks for sharing!
This recipe far exceeds any gingerbread i've made, and that's saying alot.. Texture is cotton soft, bakes up beautifully and so easy to remove from pan, no sticking at all. There's no need to alter this recipe... It definately deserves more than five stars........ Thanks a million for sharing it.
I enjoy the smell of baking, but one of the things I REALLY ENJOY is the smell of gingerbread baking! Followed your recipe right on through, & the resulting gingerbread was OUTSTANDING! Cinnamon, ginger, molasses = Wonderful! Certainly want to keep this recipe around! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Potluck Tag cooking game]