Recipe by puppitypup
Topped with whipped cream, this simple dessert is one of my favorite comfort foods. It's quick enough for a weeknight treat, and tastes even better for left-overs! Originally from Esther Shank's Mennonite cookbook and tweaked a bit by me.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- whipped cream, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Cream brown sugar and butter thoroughly.
- Add eggs and molasses and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients and water/soda to mixing bowl alternately, mixing well with each addition.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Serve with whipped cream on top.