Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I had to have this recipe after gobbling these up off a cookie tray at Christmas. They're my new favorite! I got this recipe from allrecipes.com and modified it. I pour the water into the measuring cup for the molasses before transferring it to the bowl--then the molasses slides right out!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup walnuts (optional) or 1 cup pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift together dry ingredients, spices, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg just until incorporated. Then add molasses and water.
- Slowly combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Using a small kitchen scoop, drop dough into 1/4 cup of sugar to coat. (Work out any shape issues AFTER being coated with sugar! The dough is too sticky otherwise.)
- Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet and, if desired, press one walnut or pecan into the top of each cookie. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool before storing.
so easy, so yummy