Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tastes just like a ginger snap but it's soft and chewy.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a mixer beat butter for 30 seconds on med-high speed then beat in the the sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves until combined (be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally). Beat in the egg and molasses until combined then add as much flour as you can with the mixer. Use a spoon or your hands to stir in any remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and roll the balls into additional 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1-1/2 inches apart and bake for 10 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE the cookies should be light brown but still puffed. Let stand for 2 minutes on a cookie sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
We were making stuff for thanksgiving and found this recipe and thought it sounded good, and, knowing that my dad can't STAND cloves and didn't put them in. BIG mistake. And there was not enough ginger in it...so, with not enough ginger and no cloves, they only tasted like egg. But I'm sure the cloves are where most of the flavor comes from. Luckily guests didn't think they were bad. Thanks!
Oh these cookies are WONDERFUL! The ginger, the cinnamon, the cloves....and I'm guessing the molasses plays a part in the flavor of these also. Fantastic recipe, they're soft and puffy and oh so good. I'll be making these a lot more than just this once! Thanks for sharing the recipe loves2bakeSB. Made for PAC Spring 2011.
This is a great and tasty recipe. The end result is soft and chewy and smells like heaven when being baked. I will make this again and again.