Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 12 mins
I adapted this recipe from a non-sourdough recipe by NZ cooking greats Alison and Simon Holst. It also works well using half white and half wholemeal flour. Note: the time this takes to prepare really depends on how active your sourdough is and you might choose to put your dough in a cool place to slow the rise and develop the sour flavour more, I like to take my time and start in the morning and bake it before dinner.
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients and 1 cup of flour. Cover and leave in a warm place for at least 1 hour, it should start to rise a little.
- Stir in the remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes or until a soft dough forms that springs back when gently pressed.
- Turn the dough in 1-2 teaspoons of oil in a clean bowl. Cover with cling film and leave to sit for another hour or more, until doubled in size.
- Shape dough on a lightly oiled tray. Cover with a large container with room for it to rise without touching the sides. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 410 degrees (210 deg celsius) for 12 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.