Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I have not tried this recipe yet, but my mom makes it often. She got it from a cookbook that was given as a gift to her.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, soft
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine flour, soda,ginger,salt and nutmeg in bowl;set aside.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together brown sugar and shortening until fluffy.
- Beat in molasses just till blended.
- Dissolve coffee in water and add to brown sugar mixture.
- Add egg and vanilla;beat just till blended.
- Stir in flour mixture just till combined.
- Cover and refrigerate dough until firm, about 4 hrs.
- Shape dough into balls, using 1 tbsp dough.
- Roll balls in sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on lightly greased sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or till they are crackled on top.
- Cookies will be soft to the touch;do not overbake.
- let cookies stand for 1 minute on sheets.
- Place on rack to cool.
- Store in airtight container.
- May be frozen.
these cookies are great!! Try pressing these cookies before bakingand adding a dab of raspberry jam to the center. Good for Christmas.