Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are rich, sweet, chewy cookies.
Make and share this Soft Chewy Molasses Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup all vegetable solid shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Mix on low speed electric mixer shortening, molasses, 1 cup sugar and egg. Cream mixture.
- Slowly add the remaining ingredients except 1/2 cup of white sugar. Mix on medium (you may need to use your hands to finish).
- Get 1/2 cup white sugar and pour into plate. By teaspoonful roll dough into ball then into sugar. Place each cookie on greased baking sheet. Bake 5-10 minutes. You are looking for cookie to puff up and start to crack slightly.
- Take out as soon as cookies appear to have cracks allover. This will ensure you have a chewy cookie.
These cookies were simply amazing. Perfect in every way. I would like to note though, that instead of using 3/4 cup of shortening, I used 6 tbsp of shortening and 6 tbsp of lard.
Anyhow, thank you! I'll definitely make these again.
These cookies are great. I took some to an office pot-luck lunch and everyone on staff raved about them. I chilled the dough overnight before baking.
Great cookies. I think I would add a 1/4 cup more molasses next time and decrease the white sugar. I made them for Thanksgiving - the kitchen was warm from all the holiday cooking and the cookies spread quite a bit in the oven so next time I think I will chill the dough before baking. Also I didn't need the full 1/2 cup of sugar for rolling the cookies - start with a 1/4 cup and add as needed.