Recipe by FarahC
These are rich, sweet, chewy cookies.
Top Review by biancatlover
These cookies were simply amazing. Perfect in every way. I would like to note though, that instead of using 3/4 cup of shortening, I used 6 tbsp of shortening and 6 tbsp of lard.
Anyhow, thank you! I'll definitely make these again.
- 3⁄4 cup all vegetable solid shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Mix on low speed electric mixer shortening, molasses, 1 cup sugar and egg. Cream mixture.
- Slowly add the remaining ingredients except 1/2 cup of white sugar. Mix on medium (you may need to use your hands to finish).
- Get 1/2 cup white sugar and pour into plate. By teaspoonful roll dough into ball then into sugar. Place each cookie on greased baking sheet. Bake 5-10 minutes. You are looking for cookie to puff up and start to crack slightly.
- Take out as soon as cookies appear to have cracks allover. This will ensure you have a chewy cookie.