Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from my daughter's Home Ec class. She brought a sample home after they made them. They are nice and soft, a little chewy, and very tasty. I would think you should be able to change it up to suit your family. Try craisins with white chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, other dried fruits. Don't add too much or your granola bars will not have enough "glue" to hold together! They will stay soft for a few days if well wrapped.
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- Cut butter into oats, sugar & wheat germ until it is crumbly.
- Stir in corn syrup & honey, mix till well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips & coconut.
- Press into greased 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes, till golden.
- Cool 15 minutes & cut into 16 bars.
Overall this was a very good recipe! I used white chocolate chips and pecans in place of the regular chocolate chips and coconut. My only complaint is that the bars were just a little bit too sweet for my tastes - I think they were pushed over the edge by the chocolate chips. Next time I will use 1/2 cup of nuts and no chocolate chips at all and I think I will enjoy that much more! I really loved the texture though - soft and chewy is very true!! Thanks for sharing this recipe - I think it will become a staple at my house!