1/1 Photo of Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Are you hoping to bake a slightly thicker, chewier cookie than the usual Tollhouse recipe? After tinkering with the classic, I pulled a tray of perfect cookies out of the oven. They don't spread as much as the Tollhouse variety, so they're tender all the way through. Don't be scared off by the shortening that is used in place of butter: that's what keeps these chippers so nice and soft. Last night was the third time I've made them, and everyone who has eaten one comments that these are the best tasting, and looking, chocoloate chip cookies they've ever eaten. I tend to agree!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Grease a cookie sheet (I use canola oil pan spray).
- 2Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir lightly.
- 3In a separate, larger mixing bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and white sugar thoroughly. Crack in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, mixing well to combine.
- 4Begin adding the dry mixture to the shortening mixture. Add about 1/4 or 1/3 of the dry mixture at a time, thoroughly blending each addition of flour into the shortening before adding the next.
- 5If you like a hint of cinnamon in your cookies, add 1/2 teaspoon now (I think its an excellent addition: not so much that anyone notices the cinnamon taste, but it gives the cookies a little more flavor). Stir in the cinnamon.
- 6Add the chocolate chips and mix into the dough until they are evenly distributed.
- 7Spoon golf-ball sized mounds of dough onto the baking sheet: I make 12 per tray.
- 8Bake in the 375 oven for about 10 minutes. Just in case, I would check them once after 8 minutes, and allow them up to 12.
- 9Remove from the oven when the cookie centers are just set but still soft, and the edges are just browning. Cool on the tray for about 5 minutes, them remove to a cooling rack if you have one, otherwise a plate will be fine.
- 10Just don't stack them on top of one another while they are still soft!
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (31 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.9
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.2 mg
- Sodium 102.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g