Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have listed the yield at 64 pieces sliced at 1-inch squares you may of coarse slice to desired size, you have the option of making the caramels soft or firm by adjusting the cooking time --- you will need a candy thermometer for this.
- Line an 8-inch glass square baking pan/dish with foil extending the foil over the edges of the pan.
- Generously coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt 1 cup butter over low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, condensed milk, corn syrup and maple syrup; bring to a bowl stirring gently.
- Cook over medium heat stirring often until a candy thermometer reaches 235 degrees (or for a firmer caramel cook to 240 degrees F).
- As soon ar the temperature reaches 235 or 240 degrees immediately remove from heat, and stir for 1 minute or until the mixture is smooth and no longer bubbling.
- Quickly pour the mixture into prepared pan.
- Allow to stand for 3 hours or until cool.
- Lifting the foil at the edges of the pan remove the caramel square out of the pan.
- Using a buttered knife cut into 1-inch squares.
- If desired wrap each piece with coloured plastic wrap.