A great way to turn unwanted bread scraps into a useful ingredient, with variations for making dry bread crumbs. Cook time is for the dry bread crumbs.
- 28.34 g bread, 1 sandwich bread, without added flavorings, or
- 1 roll, without added flavorings
- Tear 1 small roll or 1 slice of bread at a time into a blender.
- Cover. Turn blender on and off repeatedly until bread is torn into light, uniform crumbs.
- Or put bread on a cutting board and use fork tines to tear off crumbs.
- Put crumbs into a plastic bag and toss to mix.
- Press air from bag; close and freeze.
- One (1-ounce) bread slice makes about 1/2 cup lightly packed crumbs.
- Dry Breadcrumbs:.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius).
- Spread soft bread crumbs in a thin layer on a shallow baking sheet.
- Dry in oven 30 minutes.
- Spread crumbs out in an open plastic bag; crush with a rolling pin.
- 1/2 cup lightly packed soft breadcrumbs makes about 3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs.