Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe which I have adapted from the Australian Women's Weekly Vegetarian cookbook. Not only is it quick and easy, but it tastes great, and is good for you. It's also a handy dish for those who can't eat meat or dairy, and by using wheat-free tortillas you can keep your gluten-intolerant friends happy too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chile, seeded, chopped finely
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (35 g) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (420 g) can refried beans
- 1 (420 g) can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 (10 count) packet tortillas
- 1 medium avocado
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion, garlic and chilli until the onion is soft.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add refried beans and kidney beans. Simmer until heated through.
- Stir in coriander.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and heat in low oven until hot (or follow microwave directions on the pack).
- Mash avocado with a fork. Fold in green onions, red bell peppers, taco sauce and lime juice.
- Fill torillas with bean mixture and avocado mixture, then eat! Yum!
I loved this recipe and even my other half - who doesn't like beans - enjoyed it!! I have now made this several times and it is always a hit with whoever tries it.
This was great. My whole family enjoyed it. Only substitution I made was to use jalepeno instead of the chili. I also put alfalfa sprouts on the tacos because I think alfalfa and avocado go so well together. This is a keeper!
Very yummy! The avocado salsa is what sends this over the top, imparting layers of flavor with each mouthful. I did sub jalapenos for the red chili, and black beans for the kidney beans. Plus, leftovers were delicious as a dip scooped onto tortilla chips. Thanks for this great recipe!