Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I can't wait to try this recipe with the kids. Another recipe from Paula's Ball Game episode. (Prep time is estimated/cook time includes rise time)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water and yeast.
- When the yeast dissolves, add half of the flour, the butter, salt, and sugar and mix for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining flour.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Let the dough rise in a greased, covered bowl until it doubles in size, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into 18-inch long ropes.
- On a greased cookie sheet, shape each rope into a pretzel shape.
- Let rise again until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- In a large non-aluminum Dutch oven over high heat, bring 4 cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Using a large slotted spoon, gently lower pretzels into water a few at a time and boil for about 1 minute, or until they float.
- Return the pretzels to the cookie sheet and brush with melted butter then sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in oven until browned, about 12 minutes.
- Serve hot with mustard or eat as is.
What a treat! These pretzels are awesome. The recipe is very easy and the pretzels came out so soft and gorgeous inside with a bit of a crispy chew on the outside. I will absolutely make these again! Thanks for sharing the recipe Chef Shelby, I appreciate it. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.