Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is a quick and easy not-too-sweet cookie, shaped by rolling into balls rather than rolled out and cut. The dough will keep in freezer for up to a week. The baked cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- With mixer, beat butter, 1 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar in shallow bowl.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, roll in sugar and place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. (If the dough seems too sticky to handle, ill a medium-sized bowl half way with cold tap water. Before you roll each ball of dough, dip your hands in cold water and dry--this will keep dough cool and help keep it from sticking to your hands.).
- Butter bottom of glass and then dip in sugar.
- Flatten dough balls with glass until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges and very lightly colored, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets about 3 minutes and then transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature.
I made these for my in-laws, who like cookies for Christmas presents. They are somewhat picky about their sugar cookies, and don't like the shortbread type. I also don't like to roll out and cut cookies with cutters. These really fit the bill! Thank you! Add to review 2012: I realized I was probably making them too thin because they were crispy instead of soft, so I made them thicker, like the recipe called for. Made all the difference in the world! They are still the best tasting sugar cookies I have ever made, crispy or not--sweet and buttery.
I made these for Christmas and used colored sugars to roll them in. They were not only pretty but also pretty yummy! Thanks for the super sugar cookie recipe it is now added to my must-have list for chistmas cookie baking.
mmmmmmm is all i can say