Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This oatmeal cookie is a little different in that it uses both raisins and chopped dates, which help to make the cookie wonderfully soft and chewy. Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle, featured under the "Favorite Recipes" banner and is a tested recipe.
- 1 cup raisins
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place raisins in a small bowl with the warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla; whip until light and fluffy.
- With a large spoon, stir in flour, oats,salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Drain water from raisins;combine water with batter.
- Add raisins, dates and pecans; mix well.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet; bake 8 to 10 minutes.