Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Southern Living, December 2003.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package light brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
- Generously coat foil with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt 1 cup butter in a 3-quart sauce-pan over low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup until smooth.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until a candy thermometer registers 235°.
- Remove mixture from heat; stir by hand 1 minute or until mixture is smooth and no longer bubbling.
- Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan; let stand 3 hours or until cool.
- Note: cook time does not include 3 hour cooling time.
- Lift foil and caramel out of pan.
- Cut caramels into 1-inch pieces with a buttered knife.
- Wrap each piece with plastic wrap.