Recipe by Sharon123
Sofrito is a basic Spanish sauce of onion, tomato, garlic, and other seasonings.
Top Review by Leta
A very interesting blend of flavors, definitely a must on any Mexican buffet. I tried this with steak and salad, but I believe it would be better with chicken. I couldn't find the annatto seeds (achiote), but did find a product called SazonGoya Con Culantro Y Achiote (Coriander & Annatto) in the ethnic foods section of my grocery store. I used one packet of this in place of the annato seeds, garlic and coriander called for in the recipe (the ingredients indicated there was also garlic in the mix).
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon annatto seeds (achiote)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 dash dried oregano
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced