Recipe by ShaeCa
This is a sauce or salsa based on sweet peppers, onions, garlic and cilantro. It can be used in many different ways and freezes well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 orange peppers or 4 yellow peppers, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 cup commercial salsa, medium heat
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large deep pan or pot cook the onion over meduim heat for 5 minute.
- Add the peppers, oregano and cumin. Stir over medium heat for 5 minute then add the garlic and stir for 5 minute longer, until the peppers are tender/crunchy.
- Add the chopped tomato and continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and cool slightly, then process in a food processer with the cilantro leaves. (You may have to do this in 2 batches).
- Pulse until it reaches a coarse chop. Do not puree. Let cool and season with salt and pepper.
- Freeze in one cup batches and use as a salsa with commercial salsa mixed in a tablespoon at a time to taste.