Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This sofrito recipe is prepared as the first step in many Puerto Rican bean, rice, and stewed dishes. The amount of ingredients can be adjusted according to taste. Recipe is for a 6-8" serving-size dish. It can be doubled or tripled to suit the amount of food being prepared.
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 -4 sweet chili peppers (ajíes dulces)
- 3 cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Remove skins from onion and garlic.
- Remove seeds from green and sweet chili peppers.
- Rinse in water.
- Then finely chop these ingredients, including the cilantro.
- Place a heavy-bottomed pot over low heat; add oil and oregano.
- Add the chopped ingredients.
- Continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure an even blending of the flavors.
- Now you are ready to continue with the rest of the dish being prepared.
56545 Sublime meritage of tastes! Besides from its intended cooking purpose, we have used it succesfully to baste venison medalions and as the only seasoning in seared tuna. Try it!