Recipe by Salesgirl
This is a recipe that is more than the sum of it's parts. Bacon can be used instead of Pancetta making this a great "unexpected company" dish.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Fast and simple to prepare, wonderful for a midweek supper when you dont want to spend time in the kitchen. I used bacon, pancetta not being freely available here, and I had to use dried basil (so sorry) because my basil leaves weren't looking too healthy. We loved the bite of the red pepper flakes, and found this to be an excellent tomato sauce. Served over spaghetti. Thanks, Salesgirl!
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces pancetta or 2 ounces bacon
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb tomatoes, canned
- 8 medium fresh basil leaves
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the bacon and onions.
- When the onions begin to turn golden add the Chile pepper, tomatoes, basil and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the sauce for about 15 minutes until the flavors are nicely combined.
- Meanwhile cook 1# bucatini until al dente.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and sprinkle generously with cheese.