Recipe by Missy Wombat
From Emanuela Stucchi's 'Italian Vegetarian Cooking'. A base recipe for many Italian dishes.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- herbs, to taste (eg basil, oregano, thyme, parsley.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and add the garlic, frying for a few minutes over high heat.
- Add the carrot, onion, bay leaf and celery.
- Continue frying for 5 minutes, stirring well.
- Pour in the wine and continue cooking until it has evaporated.
- Lower the heat, season to taste with herbs and seasonings, cover and continue to cook for 15-30 minutes depending on what your soffritto is being used for.
- Stir occasionally and add a little water to keep it moist if needed.