1/2 Photos of Soetkoekies ( Spicy Wine Cookies)
Yum! Spices, sugar & wine all together in a cookie. Soetkoekies are of Dutch origin and have been a favourite South African biscuit-tin filler for many years. Posted for ZWT 2006 - South African region. From: The Cookie Tin
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 ounces chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup port wine or 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray or grease a cookie sheet.
- 2Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, brown sugar, and almonds in a large bowl.
- 3Add the butter and cut into the flour mixture.
- 4Add the beaten eggs and red wine and mix dough together until it can be formed into a ball.
- 5Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place on cookie sheets about 2" apart.
- 6Brush each cookie gently with the egg white.
- 7Bake for 12-15 minutes - until golden brown. Remove to a rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soetkoekies ( Spicy Wine Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (906 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.6
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 55.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 1.9 g