Recipe by cherber
I tried adapting a regular chili recipe for sodium reduced diets. I hope this one succeeds! You can cook the ground beef the evening before, and chop up your veg. Just toss everything together into the crock pot and put on low for 8 hrs. Hot chili when you get back from work!
- 1 (25 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium kidney beans, undrained
- 1 medium red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 cherry pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground meat in a non-stick fry pan along with 2 tbsp of the chili powder. You may spray the pan with non-stick spray. Drain the fat from the meat.
- Coarsely chop the vegetables and set aside.
- While wearing gloves, carefully split jalapeno pepper and remove ribs and seeds. Leave these in if you like a hot chili. Finely mince jalapeno. You may also add additional hot peppers if you wish. Be careful not to touch your eyes or lips without washing your hands.
- Repeat with the hot cherry pepper.
- Mince garlic finely.
- Add ground beef to your crock pot, along with the vegetables, chilis, garlic, and remaining chili powder.
- Add the canned tomatoes, and crush them up using a wooden spoon. Also add canned tomato sauce and entire contents of the canned beans.
- Turn the crock pot on "low" (if you are going to be gone all day) and leave for 8 hours Alternatively, you can throws the ingredients together at lunch time and put the crock pot on "high" in order for it to be ready by supper.
- Serve over steamed rice, either brown or white. I like this recipe over cooked millet.
- You may add some grated low sodium cheddar or other cheese if you like.
- Serves 6.