Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe out of the July 2006 issue of Bon Appetit. I haven't made this yet but it looked so easy to do...basically just dump some cans of beans into a pot and add a few more ingredients. We love bean dishes as a side when we grill out and I thought this looked like a great one.
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup cola drink, like Coke
- 1⁄2 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage, like Sprite
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in a heavy large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until juices are thick, stirring gently and frequently to prevent burning, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This was so good. I didn't change a thing Thanks
Sassy little things, aren't they! Just enough bite, tempered with a little sweetness, to satisfy any bean lover. I'll be indroducing these to my boys at our next BBQ. Bev Tag, thank you for this quick dish.
I had no savory, so omitted that, and I used crisp bacon instead of ham....it turned out wonderful, and I thought I didn't like curry dishes!