Recipe by mary winecoff
I got this recipe out of the July 2006 issue of Bon Appetit. I haven't made this yet but it looked so easy to do...basically just dump some cans of beans into a pot and add a few more ingredients. We love bean dishes as a side when we grill out and I thought this looked like a great one.
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup cola drink, like Coke
- 1⁄2 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage, like Sprite
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a heavy large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until juices are thick, stirring gently and frequently to prevent burning, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.