Recipe by Jo Ann L
This is basically a meringue. You can put fruit on it, or do just about anything else you would do with meringues. I like it for two reasons: It's got an interesting, nutty-crunchy taste and texture, and I love hearing people say after they taste it, "Crackers? You're kidding!"
- 16 soda crackers (i.e. the small squares)
- 1 cup nuts, pieces (pecans or walnuts, whichever you prefer)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Process crackers and nuts in blender until finely ground.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Mix in vinegar.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and baking powder and beat until stiff.
- Fold in cracker mixture.
- Put into greased 8-inch square pan and bake at 300° about 25-30 minutes, or until cake tester in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut in pieces to serve.
- Be careful removing from pan, especially the first piece, as this is pretty crumbly.