Recipe by HeatherN
My grandmother was a wonderful cook. Even in her "town" house (as opposed to her farm house) she had two kitchens. One on the main floor for day to day cooking, and another in the basement for canning and preserving. After her death, my mother and I were cleaning out the cupboards in the basement kitchen. We found recipe box after recipe box. When my mom found this recipe, she almost did a cartwheel! I looked at the recipe and thought, "ok, this doesn't really sound all that good...." Mom told me, "wait til you try it!!" It's now one of my favorite desserts. The crust is dense and somewhat salty, which perfectly balances the creamy sweetness of the topping.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 14 saltines, rolled fine
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen strawberries, thawed and strained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9" pie pan very well.
- Beat egg whites, slowly add sugar; beat until stiff.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour into prepared pie plate.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- When cool, top with mixture of whipped cream and strawberries.